border services

When you enter Canada, a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) border services officer (BSO)

may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United

States (U.S.), the following documents may be satisfactory evidence of U.S. citizenship:

A valid U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, or a Certificate of Citizenship and Naturalization are

considered primary evidence and are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship. The Enhanced Drivers

License (EDL) and Enhanced Identification Card (EIC) (non-drivers) are alternative travel

documents denoting the holder's identity and citizenship and are acceptable proof of U.S.

citizenship when entering from the U.S. through land and marine ports of entry only. An original

U.S. birth certificate, when accompanied by a valid government issued photo identification

document, is considered an indicator and may be an acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.

Land and sea entrance into Canada by a U.S. citizen seventeen (17) years of age and under can be

completed with an original birth certificate alone. Photo identification is not required until the age

of eighteen (18).

Note that there are several factors that BSOs must take into account before determining whether

a person is admissible into Canada, and each person will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. The

burden of proof rests with the foreign national seeking entry to Canada to satisfy the BSO they are

admissible in accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations.

Complying with documentary requirements does not guarantee entry into Canada. The following

page on the CBSA Web site provides additional information on this:


Open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day:

Peace Arch, Blaine Washington – U.S. Hwy I-5, BC Hwy 99

Open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day:

Pacific Highway Crossing /Truck Crossing, Blaine / Surrey / WA Hwy 543 / BC Hwy 15

Open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day:

Lynden / Aldergrove WA Hwy 539 / BC Hwy 13

Open 8:00 am to midnight year-round both directions:

Sumas / Abbotsford (Huntingdon) WA Hwy 9 / BC Hwy 11


All recreational boaters are required to present themselves upon their arrival in Canada as per the

Customs Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This includes all foreign boaters

entering Canada, as well as private boaters who depart Canada, enter foreign waters, and

subsequently return to Canada. This obligation exists regardless of their activities while outside of

Canada or their planned activities while in Canada. Arrival in Canada occurs when the pleasure

craft crosses the international boundary into Canadian waters.

The CBSA has revised its reporting requirements for boaters. Please view the following web page

for the most up to date information:

Upon entering Canadian waters, private boaters who qualify can present themselves to the CBSA

by calling the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) at 1-888-226-7277. As noted above, all other

private boaters, including vessels carrying foreign nationals other than United States (U.S.) citizens

or U.S. permanent residents, must proceed directly to a designated marine telephone reporting

site and place a call to the TRC in order to obtain CBSA clearance.


Please note that under Canada’s immigration law, if you have committed or been convicted of a

crime, you may not be allowed into Canada. In other words, you may be “criminally inadmissible.”

This includes both minor and serious crimes, such as:



dangerous driving

driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and possession of or trafficking in

drugs or controlled substances

What you can do: Depending on the crime, how long ago it was committed, and how you have

behaved since, you may still be allowed to come to Canada. For more information on determining

inadmissibility, please visit:

As the host Nation of Tribal Journeys 2020, we can issue a letter to accompany your application into the Criminal Rehabilitation Program. This process must be started well in advance of your intended arrival into Canada. Please take a moment to complete and submit this Introductory Request for Information to  Jodi Simkin, Director, Tribal Journeys 2020 .


Travellers are required, by law, to declare all plant, animal, and food items they bring into Canada. This includes items related to plants, animals and food, or their by-products.

If you bring these products into Canada, you may go through further inspections at the point of entry (that is, border crossings, airports). Be prepared for delays if further inspection is required.

If you are importing for personal purposes, remember that the product(s) you are importing into Canada must be accompanied by you. If the items are allowed into Canada, you still must declare them on your declaration form. Review the Canada Border Services Agency's (CBSA) What food, plant or animal products can I bring into Canada for more information.

Please visit this website and see the section titled "Products allowed into Canada from the United States" for related content. 


Exchange of American currency will need to be done at banking institutions. Stores and Retailers in Canada are unable to accept your currency for exchange. There are many banks available in the Esquimalt area once you have crossed into Canada, or you can get Canadian currency from american banks before leaving for Canada. 

Snuneymuxw First Nation

Tribal Journeys 2020 is being hosted by the Snuneymuxw First Nation, a Coast Salish Nation located on Vancouver Island. 

Canoe family RESOURCES

Awaken the Canoes 

Safety Training Weekend - Klahoose First Nation

All Nations Paddles Up
Safety & Canoe Information Website

Tribal Journeys Handbook
Philip Red Eagle

  • Facebook Social Icon



Emmy Manson

Regan Seward

Jodi Simkin